It is usually served with Eaten with rice or eggs, but also serves as a basis for sauces, soups, stews, dishes such as paella or as a filling for empanadas. Once prepared, the sofrito can be refrigerated for up to 5 days or frozen and used for up to 6 months.
Ingredients for making Sofrito at home
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ½ green pepper, finely chopped
- 100ml dry white wine
- 500 g ripe tomatoes, diced or 1 can peeled Tomato
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- 1 sprig of thyme
- a pinch of sugar
Preparing the sofrito
- In a medium sized Pan heat the oil and add the chopped garlic, onion, paprika, bay leaf, rosemary and thyme and sauté for 10 minutes over low heat.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, the white wine, a pinch of salt and a pinch of sugar (to correct the acidity of the tomatoes) and cook on low heat for 30 minutes, occasionally stir. You can use the finished sofrito straight away to cook your paella or other recipe, eat it with some fried eggs, or wait for it to cool and freeze it in jars to use over the next few months.
- If you don’t have the ingredients nor the If you don’t have time to make your own sofrito, you can buy a fantastic organic sofrito for paella from Córdoba, handmade in Córdoba and perfect for preparing all kinds of Spanish recipes.